Tuesday, July 12, 2016

They are Trying to Control My Life!

Jonathan came to me yesterday and said almost crying,
"Why does Dorathea have to clean my room?"
"Well she cleaned your room to earn computer time."
Jonathan, "I don't like it. I can't find my Lego instructions now."
Me, "Well you can tell her that and ask her where the instructions are."
Jonathan thinks and then, suddenly angry, "She is trying to control my life!"
Then he goes to the backdoor, opens it, and yells out at his sister, "Stop trying to control me!"

D comes in a couple minutes later and I said, "So what did you think of what Jonathan just said to you?"
D "Aw, he is so cute!"
Me laughing, "Yes he is awesome, but maybe you should ask before you clean his room next time?"
D- smiling, "Ok Mommy"

I have the best kids, really.
I've been reading "The Grace Filled Parent". I usually cringe at rule, I mean parenting books but I love this one! It talks a lot about loving our kids like Jesus. Realizing we all sin and we all need Jesus to help us love each other.

 The sneaking of computer time, and other small infractions were really getting to me. Our summer was starting to feel like one big time of giving out punishments ALL DAY LONG.

Then I ran across this meme that really got my attention. Disclaimer: It's a little harsh in style. Throw out the condemning tone .


It was just what I needed when I needed it (aka answer to prayer).  I've really working on not overreacting (rolling my eyes, acting dissapointed, raising my voice) to things before I hand out discipline. Its amazing how fast MY view of my kids changed. With me toning down my reactions to sneaking, the infractions got smaller. Now my kids awesome selves seem bigger and I'm finding myself laughing more than scolding.

They are not "Trying to control my life!" They are just making mistakes  trying to rise above them, just like I am.

P.S. Having one type A child and one type B is educational, hilarious, and not for the weak of heart.
- Allison






No comments:

Post a Comment